Navigation Bar

Tuesday 3 January 2012

Hear, Hear, the Painter's are here!


The painters arrived today at my new house to start painting the entire house.  I can't wait until it's done.  I feel like I haven't been able to move forward until this hideous colour is gone.   

It's not pink like it looks like in this pic, it's actually a peachy, pinky, beigey if that makes any sense.  

So, since the painters were busy at the new house, I decided to get busy at the rental house and get back to painting my secretary desk.  When I last worked on it, it looked like this:

   

This is what the three drawers looked like.  Pretty awful.


I originally started off spray painting, which I have never done before.  It took me three cans to just get to this point.   So, I went to Home Depot to buy some paint.  The girl there told me that the spray paint I had been previously using has oil in it, therefore, she gave me a paint with a primer in it that could go over the oil spray paint.  

This is what I used for the rest of the project:


So I got busy with my new paint and now it looks like this:


I have to admit, painting furniture with lots of curves is way harder than I thought it would be.  First I had to sand off the drip marks that I had previously created after the spray paint.  

First of all, my day started with me taking the lid off the paint.  I should have gone back upstairs to get a screw driver, but instead I used the stir stick and pried it off.  This is what happened. 

The lid flew off and the paint went all over the concrete floor, the handle of the brush and my hands.  The paper got the least of the paint.  P.S.  The hand in the pic is the cleaner hand, the worst one is taking the pic. 

OK, back to the project.  I have to admit, painting furniture with lots of curves is way harder than I thought it would be.  First I had to sand off the drip marks that I had previously created after the spray paint.  

This pic shows were I sanded:

Then I got busy.  But, everytime I painted one edge, the paint would drip around the other edge.  Very frustrating.  I finally managed to get two coats on everything.  It looks much better now, but I'm still hopeful that it is going to look way better once I touch it up and put some pretty glass knobs on it.  

Something like this: 

Home Depot carries them for 4.49 and I need 6.  I can handle that price.  

Hopefully I will have this completed in a couple of days and I will post the finished product immediately.







No comments:

Post a Comment