Navigation Bar

Friday 9 March 2012

Canadian Prices vs. American Prices

Today I want to write a blog about the difference in pricing from Canada to the United States.  I live on a border city to the United States.  Here, we know first hand how much cheaper everything costs in the States.  The dollar in the U.S. used to be worth much more than the Canadian dollar but, today the two dollars are virtually worth the same thing.  This is why it bothers me so much that the U.S. get everything cheaper than we do in Canada.

I want to give you some examples today of what its costs us here as opposed to purchasing it over there.

Here are kitchen cabinet pull handles by Martha Stewart from Home Depot in Canada and Home Depot in the U.S.A.  The name varies a bit but I can't tell the difference between the two.  You can click on the name and price below to see the product on it's web page.

Home Depot Canada $5.49                                                                    Home Depot U.S.A. $4.49
















(Sorry, apparently Canada can't even get the picture larger)

Here are some more examples....

Home Depot Canada $179.00                            Home Depot U.S.A. $149.00
















Again, the two have different names but the product # is identical.  Now how can it be justified to sell the same chandelier to Canadians for $30.00 more.  This kind of money adds up!

Lets continue.....

Lowe's Canada was $498.00 on sale for $398.00    Lowe's U.S.A. was $370.00 on sale for $341.10























That's $56.10 more for the Canadian to pay.  Are you starting to feel my Canadian pain yet?

Let's look at Pier 1.  That store just kills me.  First of all, we do not have the same selection as the U.S. stores, and secondly, I would never shop at the one in Canada because of the prices.

Pier 1 Canada Clearance $409.98                          Pier 1 U.S.A. Clearance $279.98
















OK, they don't even try to change the name on this chair.  $130.00 difference?  How can I justify paying this when I can just drive across the bridge and buy it there?

The list could go on and on for ever but for now, I'm going to stop here.  I think that every time I come across a discrepancy in price, I'll add it to this page just so that everyone can feel my pain.  


No comments:

Post a Comment